The Outback Explorer
Embark on a journey, and discover the Great Australian Outback!
This Sky Dance flying adventure was inspired by a custom trip request from an adventurous family sailing around the globe! They were wanting an Outback Air Safari that had the most fun-filled and interesting balance between action/adventure, and cultural heritage scenery and history…
Introducing, The Sky Dance Outback Explorer!
This trip explores some of the most beautiful natural wonders of the Australian Outback over 5 days. Your accommodation ranges from rustic old Aussie pubs in one-building-towns, and tent glamping under the stars, to the best luxury accommodation in the outback!
In 2019 the flooding in Lake Eyre made headlines around the world. April-July 2019 Lake Eyre became a spectacle that attracted visitors from every continent. The vastness and grandeur of the lake make it a highlight of any trip. Here is a piece from the abc that is really inspiring with some great imagery. Article about Lake Eyre: CLICK HERE
View the full itinerary by clicking the “Itinerary” tab above. View trip overview below.
|DEPARTURE/RETURN LOCATION||Archerfield Jet Base, Hangar 5, QANTAS Ave, Archerfield QLD 4108|
|DEPARTURE TIME||Flights operate certain times of the year. Book Now to see the tour schedule, or contact us with any questions.|
About Lake Eyre
Traditionally named Kati Chanda – Lake Eyre is located in South Australia just south of the Simpson Desert. The lake is 1,140,000 square kilometres and the drainage basin extends all the way up to central Queensland, covering over 15% of the continent! The lake is divided by the Goyer Channel into the Northern and Southern lakes, the lowest point being 15.2 meters below sea level. That is the lowest natural point in Australia. The maximum depth of Lake Eyre South, however, is just 3.7 meters deep, making it one of the more unique geological features of Australia.
The lake is considered an important cultural site to the aboriginal / first nations people and because of the significance of this lake to them, they are involved in its management and preservation.
In 1985 the Lake Eyre National Park was established. In 1967 Elliot Price of Muloorina Station donated the Elliot Price Conservation Area. This area is currently inaccessible to the public but can be seen from the air. The whole conservation area and surrounding areas are absolutely magnificent to view from the air and it is an experience that will be remembered for a lifetime!
- Door-to-door pickup and drop off: Enjoy luxury and comfort door-to-door with the Sky Dance Mercedes V-Class or limo service.
- This Air Safari is priced for twin-share bookings of 2 people who share the same room. All rooms shared have the option of having 2 separate beds, or one bed for guests to use. Purchasing the Single Supplement Extra allows guests to sleep in their own room.
- Flight Route *see Itinerary tab above
- Bookings are subject to our Terms and Conditions.
- Special dietary requirements are catered for upon request.
- Prices are based on a minimum of 6 guests on each flight and are subject to weather.
- Booking in advance is recommended with payment in full required within 30 days of departure.
- A thrilling experience and a must-do for any Australian or outback enthusiast!
An early breakfast and coffee at the Archerfield Jet Base is a refreshing start to a big first day! After departure watch the Great Dividing Range give way to the western plains and out to Carnarvon Gorge! After arrival enjoy a full day of adventures exploring the canyons and nature in the oasis of the desert! The evening is spent with a professional astronomer who has lived and guided in Carnarvon most of his life.
- 2hrs flight time to Carnarvon Gorge QLD
- One of the most beautiful remote gorges in Australia, and a little oasis in the desert. Hiking and exploring with the local bushwalking guide – a fun-filled day in nature. Astronomy in the evening with a beautiful locally-cooked dinner.
Day 2 takes us to the beautiful and history-filled town of Longreach. The entertainment and museums here are widely agreed to be the best in the outback! The Stables is where you will be staying, but don’t let that fool you. These rooms have made the Salt Bush Retreats famous. Then spend the evening on the Thomson River, or by the fire listening to outback stories over a locally made dinner feast.
- 2 hrs flight time to Longreach QLD
- Very beautiful accommodation, food, Stockman’s Hall of Fame, QANTAS Founders Museum, Thomson River Cruise, Campfire Stories, all in a beautiful outback setting. Although this town is rather modern with museums and more built-up areas, the luxury is a welcome change from the more rustic themes on the rest of the trip.
Day 3 is when we get to first see the wonders of Lake Eyre! But first, climb the largest sand dune in the world and enjoy a big lunch at the Birdsville Hotel. The evening is spent at the one-building-town of William Creek.
- 2 hrs flight time to Birdsville QLD; and then 2hrs flight to William Creek SA
- Iconic Birdsville Hotel, Big Red (largest sand dune in the world), and a full tour of the city and classic outback surroundings! (Shane is an awesome and fun guide who really does the area justice.) Lunch will be at the Birdsville Hotel before continuing the flight to the very small one-building town of William Creek! The flight (extended with scenic route deviations) will explore the Diamantina Lakes, Goyder Lagoon, Channel Country North of Lake Eyre, and the northern and central, water-filled parts of Lake Eyre. This will be an absolutely spectacular flight and a once in a lifetime opportunity to see the flooding and expanses of water and birdlife.
This 4th day takes us around the southern end of Lake Eyre and through this sparsely-populated region of the outback. We get a special treatment from the locals out here.
- 2x 2hr flights, with a tour at Innamincka or other selected homestead. Spending the night at Cunnamulla or another small homestead nearby.
- Highlights would be Cooper Creek, The Dig Tree, and more spectacular outback landscapes.
This day is an easy one, with a fun short tour and lunch with a fuel stop before arriving back in Brisbane.
- 3hrs flight time back to Archerfield in Brisbane with a short tour at lunch.